To this day, eight proclamations have been issued by municipal mayors in the island of Puerto Rico to recognize Planet Earth as a living being.
The highest municipal authorities adopted the Proclamation of the Constitution of the Rights of Mother Earth, promoted by the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace (GEAP), on an international level, which was announced in 2018 through a campaign in all countries of America, which has reached 658 decrees in different nations of the continent.
The proclamations were issued in the following way:
- June 27 in the municipality of Caguas by Mayor William Miranda Torres.
- July 24 in the municipality of Orocovis by the Mayor Jesús Colón Berlingeri.
- August 23 in the municipality of Villalba by Mayor Luis Hernández Ortiz.
- August 27 in the municipality of Arroyo by the interim Mayor Héctor Carballo.
- August 31 in the municipality of Aguas Buenas by Mayor Javier García Pérez.
- September 14 in the municipality of Patillas by Mayor Norberto Soto Figueroa.
- October 11 in the municipality of Comerío by Mayor José A. Santiago Rivera.
- October 23 in the municipality of Camuy by the Mayor Edwin García Feliciano.
The general director of the GEAP, Gabriela Lara, was present at the issuance of the proclamations in the municipalities of Aguas Buenas, Patillas, Comerío and Camuy, which were delivered in the mayor’s office.
This inter-American campaign for the recognition of the rights of Mother Earth, seeks to promote political commitments to promote these environmental principles in the citizens.
Also, in Puerto Rico, peace activists promote the electronic signature for the recognition of Mother Earth as a living being among citizens.
This initiative and voluntary efforts are aimed at achieving citizen awareness to reach coexistence in harmony with Mother Earth.